Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Stiff (Post #1 pgs.74-147)

Mary Roach's "Stiff", explores the multiple uses of cadavers and their contribution to the advances of sciences. Throughout this first chunk, she uses imagery, and anecdotes, combined with the countless expert opinion and plenty of humor. Within this section of the book, she really puts things into perspective for us, as far as the variety of things cadavers are used for and plenty of things we don't take the time to put into consideration. For example, "A cow carcass is upsetting, a brisket is dinner. A human leg has no face, no eyes, no hands...This is just tissue. It has no feelings, and no one has feelings for it".(pg.105) Roach also includes non-stop humor scattered from page to page as she talks of her experiences visiting and shadowing people with different professions involved with the use of cadavers in one way or another.

Clarification:
Were all the animals dead or alive while taking part in these experiments?(I was really confused on whether it was one or the other, or possibly both, depending on the experiment.)

Application:
Do you think people donating thier bodies would truly want to know what aspect of science they'll be used for?(Specifically, what procedures will be done on them.)

6 comments:

  1. Clarifiation:
    I think that the animals participating in the experiements were dead because had they been alive people from animal rights probably would have a field day. They would probably declare it "inhumane". Also i doubt the cooperation of a live animal.

    Application:
    I think that people would want to know just for the sake of knowing if their body were truly making a contribution to the greater good, or if their skin was going to make some guys penis look more appealing. HaHa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clarification:
    On page 95, it states that animals were used, when cadavers couldn't benefit from or serve the study. But I don't really understand how a cadaver can benefit from any experiment...=/

    Application:
    I mean, I would want to know specifically because I know now, what type of things cadavers go through to contribute to safety as well as cosmetics (ashley lol)..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clarification:

    I think that the animals were dead when they conducting these experiments. It would seem kind of hard to strap a into a speeding car that was heading for a wall. I think that the results would not be that acurate with a live animal moving all around. But the dogs that they used for aortic rupture were alive during the experiment.

    Application:

    Yes, most people probably care what thier skin, organs and other bodily parts were going to be used for. Like Ashley said, I don't want the skin from my forehead to go on somebodies penis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Cip- I like the quote about the cow carcass- it raises the issue about all the the euphemisms we use that remove us from the violence and inhumanity of say, eating meet or even wearing leather and fur.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I think they were dead because its illegal to kill animals but I also think that they were alive for the aortic rupture, as stated by Akeema.
    2. I wouldn't want to know because I'm gonna be dead and they could just decided not to use my corpse for whatever I thought they would be using it for. (Hope that made sense)

    ReplyDelete